I just finished a new flower, and I feel like it's a breakthrough piece. Not that it's perfect, but that it was a huge learning experience.

I actually used the same photograph for reference as I did in the 'cotton candy floral' print modeled on Ruby in my June 4 post. Something about that print bothered me.

So I was a lot looser here, less concerned about representing reality and thus more successful, I think, in capturing atmosphere and movement and energy, which is what I'm going for. This is the new and improved 'cotton candy floral' (below).

 

elliecashman_cottoncandysm

 

I worry that it loses a bit of its atmospheric quality and sponteneity when I put it in repeat (sample below). But I don't know that there's any way to get around this, as the flowers need an equal dose of rest surrounding them if they're going to repeat on wallpaper or fabric ...

 

elliecashman_cottoncandyrepeatsample

 

I think this is also a result of the 'cluster' composition, because I had less of a struggle with this, I feel, when putting these flowers into repeat:

 

EC032-loressm

 

EC033-loressm

 

Anyway, these are among a series of my flowers that my Dutch agent will be showing to a wallpaper manufacturer today. Yes, I've decided to go the agent route for a while. I still dream of representing myself, building my own brand someday, but for the time being, with such a busy home life, this seems to be the right choice. Luckily my Dutch agent is really supportive of my flowers, which is what I feel really comes from my heart and soul. I hope we'll make a good team, with me being able to focus on the design work I love so much, and the agent doing the business of getting my work in front of his network of clients, which he's built over a couple of decades.

I'll be busy making a collection of these flowers in preparation for the Indigo Brussels trade show in September, so if you have any feedback or advice, I'd love to hear it!

signature